Sunday, September 25, 2011

Child endangerment.......

On Thursday last week at about 10:00am. I went to meet with the landlord to look at my new apartment that I am transfering too. The previous tenant had already moved out. I walked up to the third floor knocked.....no answer....tried turning the door handle.... locked. Went out to the patio to look in the window but someone had put newspaper to cover the lower part of the window. It has a clerestory above so I hopped on to the window sill to look in. To my surprise I see a pile of blankets some pillows a bunch of clothes on the floor and a 4 year old little girl staring up at me when I saw her I was as starltled and scared as I am sure she was. The landlord got there a few minutes later to show me the space but he did not have a key. He said that the previous tenant was going to let some friends borrow the apartment for a few days. I told him about the little girl....he knocked on the door and talked to her through the door in Arabic. She explained as good as a 4 year old can that her mother and father locked her inside and she did not have a key. They would be home later.

If this happened in the states we would call 911 immediately and the parents would be arrested. I asked the Emirate landlord a local if he was concerned he was not....no problem she will be fine she is locked in. I thought about calling the police or child protective services (do they have CPS do not know). However after thinking for a few minutes. Remembering some of the horror stories about getting involved. I would probably be arrested for meddling in a Muslim's business. So I decided not to do anything. Except I did check on the little girl that evening the clothes, blankets, pillows, and the 4 year old girl was gone. I guess she survived another day in the good old UAE.

No comments:

Post a Comment